The Business and Industry (B&I) Guaranteed Loan Program provides loan guarantees of 80 percent loan guarantees for loans of $200,000 to $5 million and 70 percent loan guarantees for loans between $5 million and $10 million to eligible lenders for projects that create and save jobs in rural communities – areas with a population of 50,000 or less.
The program allows lenders offer loans to borrowers at lower, fixed, or variable interest rates. These fully amortized loans have longer repayment terms, no balloon payments, and no renewal requirements.
Eligible borrowers include the following:
• cooperative organizations
• legal entities organized and operated on a profit or nonprofit basis
• Native American Tribes on a Federal or State reservation
• other Federally recognized tribal groups
• public bodies
Borrowers use B&I guaranteed loans for the following purposes:
• business and industrial acquisition that prevents a business from closing or helps create jobs
• business conversion, enlargement, repair, or modernization
• purchase of land, easement, right-of-way, or facility
• purchase of a buildings
• purchase of machinery, equipment, or inventory
• working capital
• certain types of debt financing
Normally available to businesses in rural areas, which include all areas other than cities or towns of more than 50,000 people and the contiguous and adjacent urbanized area of such cities or towns.