If your company is experiencing a problem with a foreign customs house, make sure you’ve correctly identified the problem.
Most common customs-related problems:
- Duties higher than anticipated
- Customs office won't clear the shipment to your buyer/importer
- Customs office invoking health, sanitary, or safety issues
- Labeling issues involving a certificate of origin, weight, ingredients, marks, etc.
- Inadequate documentation provided by the exporter
- Issues involving the import or packing regulations of the receiving country
To resolve customs problems, try the following:
- Involve the buyer/importer. Chances are they can help or at least find out what needs to be done to resolve the problem.
- Involve your shipping company. Most shippers are responsive to the customs problems faced by their customers.
- Involve your insurance company.
- Contact the foreign customs' office.
- Contact the Commercial Service office in the appropriate country.