Multilateral Development Banks
The Advocacy Center is responsible for managing the Department of Commerce’s representatives to the Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs). These representatives, officially called “Liaison Officers,” are responsible for protecting and promoting American commercial interests at the MDBs, which altogether finance development projects worth billions of dollars throughout the world. The purpose of having the Liaison Officers report to the Advocacy Center is markedly to markedly the proportion of MDB tenders won by American firms.
Our MDB Liaison Offices have websites providing helpful information on their work with each MDB. We advise U.S. businesses to begin their exploration of the opportunities at these institutions by visiting the MDB Liaison Office websites (please see links below) and to acquaint themselves with the procedures and goals of each institution. You can also see the contact information for our MDB Liaison Offices on the Staff Directory page of this website.
The US&FCS Liaison Offices are dedicated to assisting and supporting U.S. companies by:
- Counseling U.S. firms on how to approach the Bank and borrowing governments;
- Conversing with project task managers at the Bank to provide U.S. firms with updates on specific projects;
- Advocating on behalf of U.S. firms to ensure that their project bids are receiving fair and equal consideration in relation to other project bids;
- Identifying business opportunities;
- Identifying Bank-funded projects that present opportunities for U.S. firms’ products and/or services;
- Informing U.S. firms of relevant Invitations to Bid (specific procurement notices) as they become available;
- Identifying upcoming projects that present a good opportunity for your U.S. firms;
- Keeping U.S. firms informed of Bank-procured contracts, such as policy studies (e.g., gender, environment) and goods/services directly procured by the Bank.
AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK
ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK
INTER-AMERICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK
EUROPEAN BANK FOR RECONSTRUCTION & DEVELOPMENT
Commercial Service Liaison Website: The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
EBRD Official Website: http://www.ebrd.com/